Accredited Quality Control Lab for First Article Inspections
First Article Inspections are required in many industries, and best practice in even more. Whether you call it prototype inspection, Full Dimensional Layout, Initial Sample Inspection Report (ISIR), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), AQQP, Annuals, or First Article Inspection Report (FAI/FAIR), dimensional verification is essential for all companies involved in manufacturing parts for the aerospace and defense industries. These First Article Inspection Reports often include complicated forms, such as the AS9102, which Made to Measure can complete for you as well.
Learn more about how Made to Measure can help you with your FAI and PPAP so you can manufacture components in complete confidence.
What is a First Article Inspection (FAI)?
While, as previously mentioned, First Article Inspections were originally developed for use in aerospace and defense industries, it’s been an adopted as a best practice by other industries as well. Any manufacturer that deals with small, complex parts with tight tolerances see First Article Inspections as a necessity.
But just what is a First Article Inspection (FAI)? A First Article Inspection validates whether or not a new or newly-modified manufacturing process will meet tolerances outlined by blueprints and manufacturing drawings. This testing is typically done by completing a thorough CMM dimensional inspection of the very first part off the production line. From there, the quality control lab will finish by producing required FAI report documents.
Why Perform Your First Article Inspection at Made to Measure?
Made to Measure can save you significant time and money by catching errors in the First Article Inspection process. We’ll be sure to point out any features that are outside of your specified tolerance, helping you create parts that pass your PPAP/AQQP—no matter how difficult they are to measure or to make.
Furthermore, we’re an ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accredited and ITAR-registered 3rd-party quality control lab, and we’re known for our integrity in the world of metrology. You can trust us to perform your FAI Reports according to the most stringent regulations.
- Our ASME, GD&T, AUKOM Certified Metrologists will find the best solution to fit your project
- We work closely with our customers to ensure progress and communication with metrologists
- Our First Article Inspection Lab exclusively uses highly-accurate, ISO 10360-2:2009 calibrated CMMs
- Our metrologists rank among most highly educated and trained in the industry, required to attend a rigorous certification process
- We produce powerful, easy to read PPAP and FAI reports that can be customized to fit your reporting format
Our Certified Metrologists thoroughly review prints and models to determine the best measurement strategies and provide you with valuable feedback. Our team can include suggestions for enhancements, if discovered, like dimensional feasibility and datum structure.
We can also prepare for your First Article Inspection far in advance. By preprogramming your project offline, we can be ready as soon as your components arrive, providing you with FAI reports within days and maintaining your tight timelines.
Made to Measure Can Complete Your AS9102, AS9131, and ARP9137 First Article Inspection Reports
The Made to Measure Difference
Made to Measure has been performing dimensional inspection for over 35 years, and we’ve been in business since the very first modern CMMs were just coming on the market. Needless to say, we know a thing or two about performing a first article inspection. But what sets our quality control lab apart?
- Over 150 years of combined experience
- ISO/IEC 17025:2017-accredited laboratory for dimensional inspection and dimensional calibration
- ITAR Registered & adherent to all ITAR policies and protocols (including ITAR approved file sharing)
- 15 high-accuracy CMMs with measurement capabilities up to 200” x 110” x 75”,
- 3 Vision Measurement Machines (VMM) with magnification up to 256x
- Portable and CMM-mounted 3D Laser Scanning
- CT Scanning capabilities
First Article Inspection Report: What Made to Measure Includes
After we’ve completed your First Article Inspection, we will complete the reports according to your organization’s standards. Take a look at what our standard First Article Inspection reports include and a few other items we also offer:
- Ballooned part drawings
- Confirmed measured characteristics/dimensional results
- Equipment used to perform FAI
- Metrologist in charge of FAI
- Specialized forms like AS9102, AS9137, or ARP9137
- Gauge R&R
- Process Capability Study (CP/CPK)
- Correlation Study
- Pictures or Video of inspection
What You Need for a First Article Inspection Quote?
Our Metrologists and estimators prefer to have a thorough understanding of the project prior to inspection. While we can give you a quote with only a drawing, we always benefit from 3D drawings, physical parts, and an identified datum structure.
- 2D Drawing
- 3D Model (if available)
- Quantity of components to be measured
- Measurement requirements
Made to Measure has inspected:
- Medical Devices
- Martini Glasses
- Engine Blocks
- Car floor mats
- Medical Components
- Writing Pens & Markers
- Precision Hand tools
- Trash Cans
- Gun Barrels
- Aircraft Wheels
- Plastic Injection Parts
- Fry Baskets
- Colored Pencils
- Dental Instruments
- Automotive Consoles
- Aerospace Hydraulic Pumps
- Orthopedic Implants
- Bone Saws
- Chapstick Housings
- High-Precision Defense Parts
- & so much more!